March 10, 2011

Landslide

This song. This crazy, wonderful song has always been a favorite of mine. I think my favorite songs are my favorites for the sole reason that they hold so many feelings and memories for me. It makes me cry without a doubt every single time I hear it. I don't remember the first time I heard it, but it was definitely the Dixie Chicks version. It was on my pink iPod mini in middle school and after my first real "break up" I had it blasting on repeat for hours.

Fast forward to early December of last year and I was watching this amazing accapella singing competition that I discovered thanks to Hannah called The Sing Off. I think it was the third episode and a college age group called, The Backbeats sang, "Landslide," and I cried so much each time I replayed it on Hulu or Youtube. I even downloaded it to my iTunes. There's so much emotion, I can't even describe it. Take a listen.

Not long after I heard that rendition, I was at the wedding of my cousin and her fiance and heard it again. It was the father/daughter dance of my cousin, Nicole, and her dad/my uncle, Chris, who was diagnosed with Stage 4 Colon Cancer. It was the Stevie Nicks version and just watching them dancing left not a dry eye in the reception. He past away a month ago, yesterday. I just watched the wedding video again this afternoon and cried again. Maybe, I cry a lot, but maybe it's the song.


I guess the real inspiration for this post came on Tuesday during Glee. The episode, Sexy, was probably one of the most amazing ones I've ever seen for many reasons, but definitely because of, "Landslide," performed by Gwenyth Paltrow (Holly Holiday), Naya Rivera (Santana), and Heather Morris (Brittany). You'll have to Hulu the episode if you want the back story, but I think their faces tell the whole story. This continues to move me each time I press play. It holds so much personal meaning to me. I love it, but I think if you follow me on Tumblr, you'd know that because I've reblogged pictures and clips from the episode constantly since Tuesday night. Enjoy.

This post was all over the place, but I have a lot of thoughts I guess, just regarding this specific song. The lyrics and everything. It's amazing. I hope you're enjoying your Thursday as much as I am. I got a B on my KNIFE PRACTICAL!! Amazing! :) Lots of loveee xx.

No comments:

Post a Comment