November 7, 2011

DIY: Melting Crayons


Looking for a fun way to spruce a bland bedroom or liven up a living room? This is the perfect fun DIY and you probably already have all of the things you need in your craft supplies! If you're like me, you've seen pictures of these all over Pinterest and the internet. It took me 25 minutes tops with clean up.

You'll Need:

  • Crayons (lots of them, old or new, in any colors/color scheme you'd like!)
  • Hair Dryer
  • Glue Gun
  • Canvas/Thick piece of cardboard/foam board (any size you'd like)
  • Newspaper, Old Towels, etc (to cover your area)
What to Do:

1. COVER YOUR SPACE with newspapers, paper towels, anything you don't mind getting ruined. Seriously this might be the most important step. None of the websites I found warned me about the mess that melted crayons will make if you don't cover your surface.

2. Decide on your colors or color scheme and organize your crayons before you begin gluing them to your canvas/cardboard. I chose to do pinks, purples, reds with some gray and white to match my bathroom color scheme. 


3.  Using your hot glue gun, glue each crayon point side down on your canvas while it is laying flat.               (You don't need to take the paper off the crayons because you can always trim off the crayons after it dries.) I love the look with the Crayola on it. 

4.  Stand up your canvas with the crayons on the top and using your hair dryer on the highest setting            starting to run it across horizontally pointing it either downwards or just right at the middle of the crayons to begin the melting.


5. BE PATIENT while running your hair dryer across. It's slow to start, but once they start melting, it all happens quickly. Avoid pointing your hair dryer in any other directions besides downwards or straight at the crayons because you'll end up with melted crayon across the room, I promise, plus you can see that I did that in the picture above and ended up shooting melted purple all the way under the red. 

6. Stop when you achieve the desired effect and let it dry, now clean up any melted (now probably dried) crayon. Scraping was the best way for me.

7. Display as desired for a really cool accent to any room. :)



xo.



2 comments:

  1. You and Hannah really need to stop reading my minds! I just told Emily that I wanted to get a bunch of purple and white crayons to do this on a canvas to brighten up my side of the office! Love that you posted this. The timing is perfect!! XX

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really cool! I'm not a crafty person at all, but I almost want to try this.

    missish.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete